Finding the right lip balm that will enhance your appearance and protect your lips from chapping and cracking, can be an extremely difficult task. Most of the lip balms we buy in stores have chemicals, which could affect our health over time and cause more damage to the lips.
In this article, we show you 3 simple recipes for homemade, tinted lip balm.
Recipe 1: Alkanet Natural Lip Balm
The main ingredient in this recipe is the alkanet. You can purchase it in two forms: as a root, or in powder form. If you buy it in root form, you’ll need to suffuse a tablespoon of root in about a quarter cup of oil, for a period of one week. For this purpose, you can use a Mason jar. Shake the jar every day, to encourage infusion.
For this recipe, we’ll use alkanet powder, which doesn’t need any prior preparation.
- Alkanet powder, in your preferred color
- 1 tablespoon of beeswax
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons of cocoa butter
- ½ teaspoon of your preferred essential oil
- 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil
- Combine and melt the coconut oil, cocoa butter, olive oil and beeswax in a small pot, over an incredibly low heat. Stir continuously, until all ingredients melt.
- Remove the pot from heat and add the vitamin E oil, essential oil and alkanet powder. Stir until all the ingredients are integrated.
- Pour the resulting mixture into small containers, and allow it to cool down, until hard.
- Once hard, freely apply it on your lips and enjoy the soft, sweet feeling that comes with it.
Recipe 2: Beeswax-Free Recipe
Most lip balm recipes contain beeswax. But, you can still make your very own lip balm, even if you don’t have beeswax in your home.
- 1 tablespoon of petroleum jelly
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Your favorite essential oil
- ½ a teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract, whichever you prefer the most
- Melt the petroleum jelly and honey in the microwave. It’ll take only a few seconds.
- Once removed from the microwave, add the essential oil and extract to the melted mixture, and mix until all integrated.
- Transfer the resulting mixture in a container of your choice, and refrigerate until it cools down. It should be hard enough to use it on the lips.
Recipe 3: Avocado & Coconut Oil Recipe
For the preparation of this lip balm, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 35 grams of coconut oil
- 35 grams of avocado oil
- 20 grams of beeswax
- 1 gram vitamin E oil
- One packet of stevia (it adds some sweetness)
- 17 grams of Shea butter
- 20 drops of vanilla extract
- Lip tint or color
- Melt the beeswax and Shea butter in a double boiler.
- Add the oils into the mixture and stir to combine.
- Next, add the stevia. Do not add it directly. Instead, use a tea bag pull string. Stir the tea bag into the mixture, to allow the stevia to get absorbed into it.
- Add the vanilla extract and the lip tint.
- Stir, to ensure everything combines.
- Pour into containers and leave it to cool down.