Cereal boxes are among the many items that find their way to the recycle bin on a regular basis, in almost every home. Before you toss out the next empty box of cereals in the bin, consider using it to make a beautiful cereal box organizer for magazines.
You can use these organizers not only for arranging your magazines, but also your books, notes, and other documentation. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make one!
How To Make A Cereal Box Organizer For Magazines And Other Documentation
You will need:
- A cereal box
- Decorative contact paper
- Craft knife
Cut The Cereal Box
1. On one of the small sides of your cereal box, draw a line. It should be at about half an inch from the top.
2. Draw a line on the other small side of the cereal box, at 4 inches measuring from the bottom.
3. On the front side, draw a diagonal line, connecting higher and the lower lines on the small sides. Do the same on the back side. You should have two straight lines on the small sides, joint by two diagonal lines on the front and the back side of the cereal box.
4. Cut along the lines with the craft knife. Get rid of the excess cardboard. The cereal box should now have the shape of a desk magazine organizer.
Decorate The Cereal Box
5. Roll out the contact paper on a flat surface. You may use heavy objects, to ensure it stays in place. Put the cereal box organizer over the contact paper and mark it’s shape with the pen. Leave at least 2 inches of the contact paper above and below the cereal box. This way, you’ll be sure that you’ll have enough to cover the entire length and width of the box. Then, cut the contact paper.
6. Cover each side of the box by slowly peeling back the contact paper and pressing the box onto the contact surface. Make sure that there are no folds or creases, so that your contact paper looks neat and smooth. Use the folds to cover the bottom of the cereal box organizer, without leaving anything to hang.
7. Use the scissors to cut off the paper leftovers. Press the box on all sides with your fingers, to remove any air bubbles.
Note: you can use any kind of decorative paper and glue it to the box.
Enjoy your new magazine holder!
For more ideas, watch the video below.