Smells are all around us. Good smell, bad smell, pungent smell, you name it. Sometimes you feel the need to neutralize the difficult smell in your home, or even office. Whether it’s your kid’s vomit, or stinky poop, a stained carpet or spilled milk on your couch, we can all find ourselves in need to neutralize and improve the smells that surround us.
While synthetic air fresheners can give your home a fresh scent, the harsh chemicals in them can be irritating and hazardous to your health. This is why we offer you an alternative of homemade air fresheners, that’s chemical-free, which you’ll find especially useful if you have small kids at home.
There are many different ways and ingredients which you can use to make chemical free air fresheners. Today, we share a few of them with you.
Homemade Chemical Free Air Fresheners
The Baking Soda-Essential Oils Option
For the preparation of this homemade air freshener, you’ll need:
- Mason jar with a lid
- One cup of baking soda
- A small piece of decorative paper (big enough to cover the top of the mason jar)
- 15 drops of your favorite essential oil
- Fill the mason jar with baking soda
- Add 15 drops of essential oil into the baking soda. Lavender is great for relaxing, peppermint awakens the senses, while orange and lemon give a fresh, citrus scent.
- With the help of a teaspoon, mix the baking soda and essential oil to combine.
- Cover the lid of the Mason jar with the decorative paper.
- Make holes in the lid and decorative paper, with the help of a sharp object, such as a screwdriver.
- Place your air freshener where ever you desire.
The baking soda in the air freshener will absorb the odor, while the essential oil will fill the atmosphere with its sweet scent.
To make this air freshener, you’ll need:
- A small stockpot
- 1 lemon
- Vanilla extract
- Fill the stockpot with water, about 2/3 of it.
- Cut the lemon in slices and add them into the water, along with a few fresh rosemary sprigs.
- Then, add about half a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
This freshener will give your space a great scent, for about two days at most. You’ll have to change it before it starts to smell funny.
Scented Wood Chunks
What you need:
- Wood blocks
- Paint brushes
- Scented oil or perfume
You can either paint or spray the essential oil or perfume onto the wooden blocks. Alternatively, you can soak the wooden blocks the oil or perfume. Leave them overnight, for bigger effects.
Then, put the wooden blocks in an open container and enjoy the fresh scent. To refresh them, feel free to brush some more oils or perfume onto them.
There are so many other incredible ways for you to make chemical-free air fresheners. You can make all of them in the comforts of your home, from gels, to diffusers, candlesticks… the list is endless. For this purpose, you have the Internet to guide you and introduce you to so many other possibilities.
But, for starters, you can try the three we describe above. Enjoy your life in a clean, fresh and aromatic environment!